------------Indian Welcoming Committee-----------

------------Indian Welcoming Committee-----------

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Hyderabad Globetrotters

What, nobody told you the Harlem Globetrotters relocated to India? Get with the times!!! The economy is booming over here, basketball is starting to catch on...and did I mention the labor cost savings?!!! Haha OK no reason to scare you. I modified the above picture myself, utilizing my considerable skills in Microsoft Paint. Don't worry, the Globetrotters are still representing Harlem, where they've been doing their thing for 80 years. But...that didn't stop them from coming to Hyderabad last week, as part of their India tour. :) As part of their duties as world basketball ambassadors, they're doing a month long tour of India, with stops in Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Mumbai (I think).

Anyways, a bunch of us expats -- and also the local checkout team (they made it their offsite) -- caught their performance last Wednesday night. It was a great time. Here are some pics (all courtesy of Stacy, I did not bring my camera. Thanks Stacy!)

After the game, there was a big meet and greet... all 200 people or so in attendance got to go out on the court and get autographs and photos with the players. That was a lot of fun. As for there only being 200 people in attendance, that was a bit of a disappointment, both for us and more so for the players. I think it took a little out of them. This was their first game in Hyderabad, and apparently they'll have to step up their marketing efforts. They did say the Friday night game was sold out at least, and that their games before (in Bangalore) had been packed houses. So, Hyderabad just has to wake up...and actually get out and do something on a weeknight! (Good luck making that happen. Hyderabad is pretty sleepy). Anyway this picture is of a couple players and a lot of Checkout team members.
Muggin' w/ the kids.

OK. There is a story here. This character climbing over the rail and into the stands is Globie, the Globetrotters official mascot. He is coming right towards me. Word of advice, if you're at a Globetrotters game, and Globie comes right at you in the crowd, unless you WANT to be pulled on to the court and made fun of, don't stand up and start waving your arms. Sit there, be quiet, avoid eye contact...or be like me and wave your arms. You'll probably then get pulled out onto the middle of the court, where Globie will either make you dance, do some sort of routine, play musical chairs, or who knows what all to the enjoyment of the audience. :) Ha, it's all in good fun. Globie's alright. I guess.


Globie's routine goes like this. He comes in to the stands and pulls me out. We walk to center court. He tells me with hand motions (Globie doesn't talk) that he's going to jump over me. OK...so I stand there. Globie runs down to the far end of the court, turns around, and starts running towards me. A few steps away, he stops. He's a sissy, he's not jumping over me standing up!! So he tells me to sit down. I sit down. Globie runs down to the far end of the court, turns around, and starts running to me. A few steps away, he stops. I'm still too tall. OK Globie. He tells me to lie down. So I lie down. Globie runs down to the far end of the court, turns around, and starts running at me. A few steps away, he stops. Yeah, you guessed it...still too tall. Real funny Globie. OK this time, he senses my frustration, so he says he's really going to jump over me. Tells me to crouch down. I crouch down...Globie runs down to the far end of the court...and doesn't jump over me again!! This is getting ridiculous. Also, at this time, Stacy must have gotten bored, as she stops taking photos. Anyways, I think EVERYONE is getting a bit impatient, so Globie realizes it's time to step up to the plate. He assures me he'll jump over me, STANDING up. He tells me turn around. He doesn't want me getting scared, so he says to cover my eyes. I'm playing along w/ this routine, so I do as I'm asked. I'm standing there, mid court, eyes covered...Globie runs down to the far end of the court...and keeps on running! Right off the court and into the locker room. Leaving poor me standing with my hands over my eyes at center court. Ha Ha Ha. It doesn't take me long to catch on that no Globies are going to be jumping over me, but the damage is already done. After some brief laughter from the crowd, Globie comes running out of the locker room and gives me a high 5, and I get to go sit back down again. All part of the show. Anyways, it was cool being at center court and a part of the Globetrotters act...but next time Globie is coming towards me in the stands...I think I'll sit on my hands instead of waving them around like an idiot. :)

Yep. We're doing the 'YMCA.'

You better not be making any moves on my girl, Globie. :) Anna, Selin, Globie, Stacy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Globie's a sissy? If I remember correctly, you crouched in fear the first time he was running at you...hahaha! Good times at the Globetrotter game. I liked the spicy/sweet puffed rice snack.
-Selin

Blaze The Trail Cat said...

Globie punked ya bro, made you the laughingstock of Hyderabad! You should have countered by having Globie go stand under the hoop, grabbing a ball, and dunking on his big globe head. Next time.

Anonymous said...

I am BILIGIRI RANGA, from Hyderabad, INDIA, doing a write up dealing with civic problems in Hyderabad for a city based magazine PRISM, (10+ year old mag).

My write up deals with civic problems in city, why it remains dirty and authorities turn a blind eye to people’s problems, and your suggestions to transform city people’s mindset and improve the look of the city. It gives u a good opportunity to present your views about your stay in Hyd.

I am keen to seek your (expat) views on the same since it offers city folks an insight of a foreign expat on the civic infrastructure in the city.

Pls get back to me at

brnugget_6@yahoo.com

soon so that I can contact u soon.

waiting for your e mail reply soon